Getting ready for fall? I am! This is THE perfect dessert for the switch between summer and autumn!
It’s that time again. Summer is over, it’s back to school, but then you have so many things to look forward to: Halloween, Christmas, (and for me) Chinese New Year. It’s probably why I love the end of the year so much. The hottest days are sort of over (if you don’t count Vietnam’s irregular scorching hot days), and everyone’s sort of getting into the fall groove: apples, pumpkins etc. but not in full swing, because it isn’t really OFFICIALLY fall yet (I know I sound insane).
I have an intense love for apples. I love them. And honestly, I don’t really care what time of year it is, because I bake with them practically every time. I just love the tartness with a little sweetness, the nice crunch, and if you cook down the apples, you get this soft but with-some-bite chunk that is really TO DIE FOR. Basically, I love apples. (sometimes I even just chop up apples, add a bit of cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice and throw them in the oven to soften up a little and eat it!) I think the reason why I love apple pie so much is because of the filling – I could literally just eat the filling all on it’s own
Look how much filling there is!!!
This is a super flaky, buttery, delicious crust packed with the perfect apple filling (trust me, I would know). And to prove it, I can tell you that after I made this apple shortcake, I went for a nap and when I woke up, my conversation with my sister went a little like this:
My sister (seeing I’ve woken up from my nap): Jun..I ate half the shortcake
My sister: Yeah, sorry…it was really good though!
Me: Are you serious?? (Goes to check) Oh my god. You actually ate half of it. Wow okay then..
So yes, this apple shortcake is super yum. All the warm flavors of fall, but not too heavy, it;’ll have everyone wanting to eat half of it.
- 125g butter
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 1 medium egg
- ¾ cup self raising flour (1 tsp baking powder + flour)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 6-8 medium green apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ½ inch wedges
- 8 tbsp sugar
- Lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and egg and beat well.
- Sift in the flours and fold in2 batches
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Divide into 2 equal portions and chill for 30 minutes
- While dough is chilling, make the filling: Place apples in a saucepan with the sugar
- Cook until tender and slightly dry and then add the lemon zest and juice
- Add cinnamon powder and stir well. Take off the heat and allow to cool (surplus can be blended to make applesasuce)
- Take one portion of dough and roll between 2 plastic sheets to the size of loose bottom/round pan lined with parchment
- Put in the bottom of the pan and top with apple filling (leave a ½ cm border)
- Roll out the other portion of dough to the same size and cover. Press the sides gently to seal the edges
- Bake at a preheated oven (190◦C) for 40 minutes
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan
What’s your favorite apple recipe? Let me know in the comments below!