I’m not a big fan of oats. Yeah, I get it – they’re healthy, they’re delicious! Not for me. Maybe I’m not making them right but I just don’t see the appeal in a bowl of white lumpy stuff. It’s not that I don’t eat anything with oats in it – I do (granola bars, flapjacks, pancakes) but I just can’t do it when they’re all by themselves. So I’ve been trying to get myself to like oats, with no avail – until I made these cookies. I still don’t like oatmeal, but I do love these cookies (there’s no better way to start liking something by putting it in a cookie)
I love chewy cookies, chewy brownies, etc. So obviously, when these cookies turned out chewy I fell in love. There’s so much spice and flavor going on, it’s really perfect for this time of year when it’s about to get cold – except for in Vietnam, where it doesn’t really get cold, more of ‘cool’ (as in the sun doesn’t melt everything in it’s path). And then you throw in raisins. I you don’t like them, you can definitely just leave them out (for all the raisin haters out there), or add something else in it’s place – you could try chocolate (I’ve been meaning to try this out for a while), nuts, or other dried fruit – or even leftover halloween candy. This recipe is just so versatile and I guess you could say healthy? I don’t know..
If validation from me isn’t enough, I promise I have approval from friends and my family (especially my sister). How could you ever go wrong with an easy, simple, delicious oatmeal raisin cookie? It’s a classic. And going back to the ‘easy’ part – it is. Everything in one bowl, you can do it by hand, no need to take out the mixer and it bakes in 10 minutes! Just a little note though: don’t use instant oats because you’ll end up with a mushier cookie, because the instant oats cook up too quickly (they’re more of oats ground into a powder). Instead, you really want to use old-fashioned rolled oats, or what I used, which is Quaker’s quick-cooking oats, so you get that texture in your cookie. If you’d like to know a bit more about oats, click here to go to this blog I thought provided the perfect amount of information
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies:
- 227g (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 125g (½ + 1/8 cup) granulated sugar
- 100g (½ cup) packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 156g (1 ¼ cup) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 200g (2 ¼ cup) regular rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup raisins/chopped chocolate/chocolate chips (or any other add-ins you’d like)
- Preheat oven to 190◦C
- Cream together butter, and both sugars (can be done by hand)
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Stir in vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, cinnamon, cornstarch, ginger, baking soda, salt and all spice, and stir
- Mix in the oats and raisins/chocolate
- Drop by tbsps. onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes (cookies will firm up as they cool)