It’s half-term break – which means I basically have the mornings to make breakfast – good breakfast. I always make pancakes, (you can get the recipe here) or waffles, or muffins but I never thought about combining 2 together – until now.
But now that I have, I’m honestly blown away. It’s like eating a pancake, with the maple syrup and everything, but on the go. No need to sit down, get out a knife and fork – and it means you can eat faster, which means you can eat more!! They’re sort of like the dutch baby pancakes (bismarck), y’know the really small ones that have icing sugar on them and taste SO GOOOOD?
Aaaaand, another bonus: these are super quick to make and you won’t have to stand there and flip individual pancakes! You could literally throw them in the oven and take a nice 10 minute nap.
I was getting kinda bored with just making plain ones, so I decided to mix it up. And my 2 other favorite flavors? Chocolate and Apple. The classics. I do admit, my favorite ended up being the chocolate chunk ones because I loved how the chocolate lent a bit of sweetness to the muffins (which are plain unless dipped in maple syrup), but my mum loved the plain ones all on their own, and my sister liked the apple ones. But to be honest, I wouldn’t mind having any one of them for breakfast. (And their great if you make a whole bunch on the weekends you can bring them along with you on late mornings)
Pancake Mini Muffins (3 ways)
- 125g (1 cup) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 157ml (2/3 cup) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 30g (2 tbsp) melted butter
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips/peeled, diced apple + 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350F)
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk
- In another bowl stir buttermilk, egg, maple syrup, melted butter until just combined
- Add wet to dry and stir until just combined
- Stir in chocolate chips/chopped apples + cinnamon if using.
- Scoop into mini muffin pans
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean